Filforce Airsoft USA
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Newbie Q&A Thread - Post Your Questions Here Options · View
Moondog
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 9:56:26 PM

I don't know what happened to all the threads on this forum. So I've started this master thread for our members to answer all questions by new players.

BASIC RULES
1. Always include a link to the product or weapon you want to ask about because there are dozens of different guns with the same name.

2. Please read the Sticky Topics on this forum first as many of the basic questions are covered in those topics

3. Those answering should be as patient as possible with all answers. Thanks.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Forum Admin | c: 808-384-tenfourtyseven
Read the FORUM RULES before you post • SIGNATURE area may not be larger than 60x480
Learn about the basics of airsoft, read Moondog's Airsoft Guide • Goggles fogging? Buy Moondog Defog
Moondog
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2010 10:02:10 PM

Robert E Leet wrote:
Hey Moondog,

I recently had a big urge to take my first-person shooter gaming and wants for hunting and other outdoor activities and turn it into something fun like airsoft. I read a bunch of your guides such as picking out my first AEG and do's and don't's. I am still overwhelmed by the amount of information this thing has.

First of all, might be a silly question, am I too old to get involved in airsoft? I am 22 years old, and I go to college in Allenton, PA. I live in Bergen County, NJ. I saw some fields and places to do some OPs or skirmishes and whatnot, and I think that that is great.

Second, probably the hardest part is equipment. You recommended a bunch of good stuff online, and said that I won't be able to get a good/decent AEG for no lower than $100. I looked online and found some stuff. I don't know if I want to go with an M16 or M4 type of AEG. I found a FAL, or like a FAL carbine something like this http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?products_id=32485 . This was really awesome. But definitely out of my price range. I am thinking about no more than $130 for an AEG, but even at that price.... something new that I do not even know that I will like... It seems like such a big investment... I found this also... http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=280_281&products_id=3310 looks cool, and is full metal. I also want a gun that will work for both field and CQB.

Third, how many and how often do people carry sidearms? I was looking at revolvers, I think they're awesome. I would like to carry a spring revolver, but I do not know what are good quality ones, and if I should even consider carrying or purchasing one. As for that, I thought about this http://www.airsoftpost.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_489&products_id=31589 .

Sorry if this is overwhelming for you. I am just having trouble and I know that you are probably an expert at this stuff. Would you recommend investing this much money first time?

Also, for goggles. I own a couple of UVEX laboratory goggles. They are all seal and covers the entire eye-area. Do you know anything about these goggles? Would they be sufficient for protecting my eyes? These are the goggles http://www.tedpella.com/safety_html/19826.jpg .

Thank you in advanced for your help.

-Robert E Leet

Please comply with the new account validation requirements: http://forum.filforce.org/default.aspx?g=posts&t=75

Once you do, you will be allowed to see and post in the other threads, especially the Newbie and technical forums where you can get more advice.

I am going to post my answers in the public thread so that others can benefit from the information...

First off, no you are not too old to get into airsoft. I was 38 when I started playing and the average age of the FilForce members is probably 30. Though the vast majority of new players are teens. The majority of the players at our games are older, more mature and honest players.
In fact we have an age restriction to avoid immature players.

Second the DBoys/Kalash RK02 is a great gun for the price. It's a lower priced knock off of the VFC AK102. The King Arms FAL is nice but if you're starting out you may find it to be a bit too long for general play unless you plan on being a sniper and this would require much upgrading of the gun for that specialized role. If you want a gun for CQB and field, you have to get a lower powered gun than either as most CQB indoor fields have FPS limits around 300-350fps.

If your budget is $130 and you want something less common than an M4, I suggest buying a carbine sized AEG like that AK or a JG G36C and buying a $60 3-shot shotgun or gas pistol for CQB use.

Sidearms (ie pistols) are the ideal CQB weapon. Springer pistols are totally outclassed by gas pistols and AEG's. They have limited use in field games unless you're playing a shotgun and spring only game (like my Old School series).

Those UVEX goggles look like they're safe to sue for airsoft but they have limited peripheral visibility (they are work goggles so your focus is directly in front). I recommend the Uvex stealth: http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S3960C-01-Anti-Fog-Anti-Splash-Indirect/dp/B000WTB1J8

Read the FORUM RULES before you post • SIGNATURE area may not be larger than 60x480
Learn about the basics of airsoft, read Moondog's Airsoft Guide • Goggles fogging? Buy Moondog Defog
Mira
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:31:39 PM

So I'm about to purchase my first chest rig and I have no experience on what works or not. I am trying to save money and would like one that has a great bang for its buck.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_96&products_id=994
This one seems to be one of the cheapest out there and it seems to allow a lot of ventilation for summer games.

http://weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=1104
I like this one a lot cause it is MOLLE and allows for the addition of a hydration pack on the back.

I am open for any other suggestions! Thank you for your time.
DRK
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 10:45:19 PM

for the chest rig you can easily get a hydration carry that is like a very small back pack. those are common in real world soldiers and airsofters, it makes it easier to grab mags but remember a dump pouch isnt easily attached, i have seen some ppl let it a little loose and you shove the spare mags between the rig and your chest for quick storage.

for the chest rig, do you see yourself crawling on the ground? its harder to do so where as a belt system is easier. remember with just the chest rig your back is naked and shots to the back are felt,stronger.

for a molle set up at least you can config it to how you want, but it's extra cost for all that. i forgot how the old maxim goes but it goes like if you have empty space you end up filling it with things you dont need. if you go molle i would plan ahead what else you were thinking to add to it. hydration molle pouches have molle loops on the back of them also so you can further mount more things to your back.
Moondog
Posted: Saturday, April 10, 2010 11:15:42 PM

Mira wrote:
So I'm about to purchase my first chest rig and I have no experience on what works or not. I am trying to save money and would like one that has a great bang for its buck.

http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_96&products_id=994
This one seems to be one of the cheapest out there and it seems to allow a lot of ventilation for summer games.

http://weaponblender.com/index.php?productID=1104
I like this one a lot cause it is MOLLE and allows for the addition of a hydration pack on the back.

I am open for any other suggestions! Thank you for your time.

That Condor 'Ranger' chest rig is a decent for the price. The pockets are big enough to hold 3 or 4 STANAG mags or one can be used as a dump pouch. If heat is an issue I'd get this and buy a Camelbak to cover your back. This way you can use the Camelbak for hiking or cycling when you're not playing airsoft.

If you have the cash, you can go with a MOLLE if you really need to customize. But buying custom pouches is always more expensive than buying a rig that is all together. If you know you're going to be going for a hard-core MilSim impression, then go this route.

I went with an Infinity Tactical chest rig which is a mix of both. The pockets are hard stitched but it has a MOLLE chest loops and loops on the back shoulder straps for some measure of customization. http://www.moondogindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74

Mira
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 12:42:27 PM

Thanks DRK and Moondog, Looks like the MOLLE is best in the long run. Now I'm stuck on whether I should get Tan or Olive Drab. I currently have Woodland camo but I plan on getting Multicam this month. Any opinions on what works best?
Moondog
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:00:55 PM

To be quite honest I think both work (though there are those who vehmently disagree.) I wear a tan vest with woodland or flecktarn. The Marines use Coyote tan and it's likely that that will be recommended to the Army units now being equipped with MultiCam. But the Army units now have a hodge podge of webbing and plate carriers in UCP/ACU, woodland and OD.

Tonto
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:11:24 PM

Mira wrote:
Thanks DRK and Moondog, Looks like the MOLLE is best in the long run. Now I'm stuck on whether I should get Tan or Olive Drab. I currently have Woodland camo but I plan on getting Multicam this month. Any opinions on what works best?

hmmm in my opinion, ill that the other one, u see alot of special forces carry them around the most, and i think its in a way more confortable, if ur using certain slings, it wont really get in the way hen u raise ur weapon.. but to each its own, i remember when i first started airsoft, didnt know what my load out would be, now i cant seem to stop buying equipt.. hahaha, if ur anywhere near queens and u need a ride to a game, PM me and ill hook u up br0, just like any carpools, chipping in for gas is alwayz curtious.

HeNrY G.
347-880-8597
Bluerajja345@msn.com
myspace.com/el_ch0cha
Mira
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:33:23 PM

Tonto wrote:

hmmm in my opinion, ill that the other one, u see alot of special forces carry them around the most, and i think its in a way more confortable, if ur using certain slings, it wont really get in the way hen u raise ur weapon.. but to each its own, i remember when i first started airsoft, didnt know what my load out would be, now i cant seem to stop buying equipt.. hahaha, if ur anywhere near queens and u need a ride to a game, PM me and ill hook u up br0, just like any carpools, chipping in for gas is alwayz curtious.

Thanks alot for the offer, but I'm most likely out of the way for you cause I'm about 30 min. - 1hour away from the city lol. I may be enticed on buying both just for the convenience of having different vests.
Moondog
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:58:41 PM

Better idea: buy the Coyoto Tan MOLLE vest and buy a green Chi-Com chest rig that way you can have a commie impression ready for historical reinactment games.

Mira
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:19:50 PM

Okay, sounds good, I think i'll invest in a AK-47 sometime soon then. I just need to buy mags and I think I'll be set for some OP's now haha. I just need to find a way to chrono my gun cause it may be too hot. JG M4 S-System, some people say it shoots 400+ with .20s, not sure about the .25's though.
Redbull
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:06:04 AM

Mira wrote:
some people say it shoots 400+ with .20s, not sure about the .25's though.

It will be fine. With .25, you will drop about 50 FPS from a 0.20 BB.

It's a good idea to use a heavier BB anyway.

My youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/newyorkairsoft
Moondog
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 7:27:01 AM

Mira wrote:
Okay, sounds good, I think i'll invest in a AK-47 sometime soon then. I just need to buy mags and I think I'll be set for some OP's now haha. I just need to find a way to chrono my gun cause it may be too hot. JG M4 S-System, some people say it shoots 400+ with .20s, not sure about the .25's though.

Use the SEARCH tool in the Menu. There's a link to the "Coke can chrono" method somewhere here. Or google it.

Saba
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 11:42:06 PM

I know you discussed many ways to maintain an AEG in the other stickies. You also mentioned how to get into the gearbox, do proper lubrication and other such technical things. One of my concerns is, as an inexperienced player, I am afraid to open and tinker with my $150 brand new investment for maintenance and otherwise gaining familiarity with internals and other workings. How would you suggest someone new to the sport can ease into something such as doing his own reshimming and changing springs and such?

Should I buy a much cheaper gun to work on, a broken gun, or even boneyard items?

HeadKill
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:29:59 AM

I'd buy a heavily used "loaner" gun that someone uses. For instance, I have a JG AK47 that I wouldn't mind letting go of to let someone tinker.

Filforce Execom Member
Recruitment Manager
Email: krdshrk@gmail.com
Cell: 908-705-1408