Filforce Airsoft USA
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Go Pro cam + airsoft Options · View
Mikey
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:39:58 PM

Hey guys, I know I haven't been playing with you guys for awhile. To far from where I live so I have been playing with another airsoft team at godfather and other places. Moondog and redbull, I believe you have played with them before at prob. zombie hill or old man's warehouse. Does Joe Salvero ring a bell?

Anywho,

I want to talk about the go pro camera. I had taken up a serious interest in photography and filming. I ordered one so i could make videos from a first person view. I was just wondering if any of you guys have used it before for airsoft. Can it withstand the force of a bb up close?

" It's either you shoot or get shot"
-mikey hit me up 908-416-9444
Redbull
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:33:36 PM

the camera looks interesting. If the footage on their site was taken with the camera, then it's one of the best I've seen.

I have the contourHD and it had taken a few BB hits to the lens protective layer and works fine. But image quality wise, it's not that hot.

My youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/newyorkairsoft
Nidan
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:19:26 PM

that looks sweet. personally i use one of those $10 miniDV camcorders i got on ebay that you can clip to anything. though i haven't actually used it in combat (mostly just forgetting to turn it on) i've recorded just bits and pieces of things and it has decent quality.

it looks pretty sturdy and i suppose it could withstand a BB (does it have protective casing?). but if you end up not wanting to use it i would recommend looking into the minidv camera. i dont think i would want to spend $300 for a camera to get riddled with BB's.
Redbull
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:21:34 PM

I have a perfectly great condition conturHD 720P camera + strap + 8 GB card that I wish to sell.

New was like 278 USD. Selling for $150 :D so you can get a 150 dollar camera riddled with BB, instead of a 200 dollar one.

My youtube channel:

Moondog
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:33:43 PM

Redbull, post it in the Buy Sell thread. Or have you already?

The only issue with the GoPro and most clipable cams is that they're fixed wide-angle lenses. That is fine for CQB but for most field games, you will never see what it is you're shooting at. You'll see a lot of footage of you running and your gun moving but that's it. You'll need a zoom lens for that.

I think Ragutz posted his gun cam idea of mounting a video camera behind his gun scope which shows where his BB's are shooting and hitting.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Forum Admin | c: 808-384-tenfourtyseven
Read the FORUM RULES before you post • SIGNATURE area may not be larger than 60x480
Learn about the basics of airsoft, read Moondog's Airsoft Guide • Goggles fogging? Buy Moondog Defog
Nidan
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:51:07 PM

Moondog's got a point.

but i honestly dont see the need for such an expensive camera that will recording most likey shakey footage and trees assuming your in the woods.

i would cry if even one BB hit it. maybe it's because im a techno nerd but thats just me.
Redbull
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:59:58 PM

The go-pro offers some sort of transparent shell to cover the camera.

Specs:

"# Box Contents: 1 HD HERO Camera (5 MP), 1 Rechargeable 1100 mAh Li-ion Battery, 1 Waterproof Quick-Release Housing (180/60 m), 1 Headlamp-Style Head Strap, 1 Vented Helmet Strap, 2 Curved, 3M Adhesive Mounts, 2 Flat, 3M Adhesive Mounts, 1 Three-Way Pivoting Side Arm Assembly, 2 Quick-Release Buckles, 1 USB Cable, 1 Component Video (HDTV) Cable, 1 Composite Video + Audio Out Cable, Warranty: One Year "

Depends on what you do, a 300 dollar camera is nothing compare to what you would spend on real professional gears. If hitting a 300 dollar camera freaks you out, you best not film around actions.

This is 150 bucks, is it the same one?

http://www.shoebuy.com/gopro-cameras-digital-hero-5/361355/769300?cm_mmc=googleproductads-_-none-_-none-_-none

But for you little Mikey, do you want to pay 150 to 300 bucks if you only go airsoft once in a while? Do you know how to edit video?

My youtube channel:

Nidan
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:08:36 PM

i know, Redbull. I own a Canon DSLR plus extra lenses not to mention my Powershot G10, granted they aren't fancy cameras for sport but i get the jist of it. i will bring my powershot to games but i am careful not to get into the middle of a firefight.

but a cheaper camera can always get the job done. maybe not HD quality.
DRK
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:08:49 PM

the go pro has problems with recording sound.

what i noticed with my contour HD. it works great. problem is even though it's light weight, you can't wear your goggles loose. it has to be on tight to keep it up right and not wobble at all when you move. that is what i learned about it so far.

contour just put out the new GPS version.

wish i got that one. whats cool about that is, outside of airsoft it can record your elevation and speed you travel. have that on and you can fight tickets if you were legit.
contour has a 180 day warranty. not aware what go pro has. plus go pro may weigh more so its a helmet mount not a goggle mount.

im looking to try a rifle mount for it. should be promising.
Mikey
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:35:34 PM

Redbull wrote:
The go-pro offers some sort of transparent shell to cover the camera.

Specs:

"# Box Contents: 1 HD HERO Camera (5 MP), 1 Rechargeable 1100 mAh Li-ion Battery, 1 Waterproof Quick-Release Housing (180/60 m), 1 Headlamp-Style Head Strap, 1 Vented Helmet Strap, 2 Curved, 3M Adhesive Mounts, 2 Flat, 3M Adhesive Mounts, 1 Three-Way Pivoting Side Arm Assembly, 2 Quick-Release Buckles, 1 USB Cable, 1 Component Video (HDTV) Cable, 1 Composite Video + Audio Out Cable, Warranty: One Year "

Depends on what you do, a 300 dollar camera is nothing compare to what you would spend on real professional gears. If hitting a 300 dollar camera freaks you out, you best not film around actions.

This is 150 bucks, is it the same one?

http://www.shoebuy.com/gopro-cameras-digital-hero-5/361355/769300?cm_mmc=googleproductads-_-none-_-none-_-none

But for you little Mikey, do you want to pay 150 to 300 bucks if you only go airsoft once in a while? Do you know how to edit video?

Ok, after a little digging i have concluded this. If this little cam can withstand massive forces from ocean waves, I believe it will withstand the force from a BB. I ordered the 300$ helmet go pro for airsoft as well as for snowboarding. I intend to put the use the adhesive patch to stick the go pro to my helmet so i doesnt rattle. I have been airsofting a lot actually, but just not a lot with you guys =/, and yes I know how/ love editing videos. I tend to use adobe premiere cs4 and vegas pro 9.

I also have an idea for the gun cam. I can use the adhesive patch and place it on the body of the gun,so i can see what im shooting at. ( I actually intended this for CQB games)

http://www.goprocamera.com/products/hd-helmet-hero-camera.php

thats the link to the model i ordered

Redbull
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:00:02 PM

what's the difference between the 300 dollar one from the 150 dollar one?

Great, you know editing. Then you def need a video camera to pump your skills.

Damage on the field is least of the worries. No pain no gain. Sure it might get hit by BBs, and heck it might get damaged.

I once dropped a $2700 5Dmk2 camera + $380 lens to a hard cement ground. Made this huge crash sound. The strap came loose and the camera slipped.

The lens hood took all the damages, nothing else was hurt. But I always bring 2 cameras. The only paranoia I have is whether or not I should bring a 3rd one...

My youtube channel:

Mikey
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 11:10:26 PM

Redbull wrote:
what's the difference between the 300 dollar one from the 150 dollar one?

Great, you know editing. Then you def need a video camera to pump your skills.

Damage on the field is least of the worries. No pain no gain. Sure it might get hit by BBs, and heck it might get damaged.

I once dropped a $2700 5Dmk2 camera + $380 lens to a hard cement ground. Made this huge crash sound. The strap came loose and the camera slipped.

The lens hood took all the damages, nothing else was hurt. But I always bring 2 cameras. The only paranoia I have is whether or not I should bring a 3rd one...

The $150 gopro is the old model, i think 2007. The price is doubled due the fact that it is HD, and the fact that it comes with different mounts. I'm like the type of person that says ( if the video is not HD or it is not clear then i won't like it.)

I also carry 2 cameras, one is a flip HD with underwater case cause i like water sports and a sony HD handydcam. I like to make different angles to and sync them up to make an artistic look i should say.

I'm not to concerned about the flip getting shot because i tested the water proof shell and shot it, no scratch or cracks. so i would feel the same with the go pro. My sony on the other hand..... that i might have to work on

Ragutz
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 10:34:36 AM

here's a good review albeit they only uploaded in 360, we'll have to take their word for it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDnTvLQX7II

Although the GoPro won, I did not like the cumbersome size of the camera and mounting unlike the sleek and compact design of the ContourHD. And if you don't have a helmet, how do you mount that monster on your head? At least with the ContourHD, you don't look like a dork wearing a camera and it doesn't reduce your tacticool points. hehe, my two cents...

BTW, the video I posted for OPNL was shot with the ContourHD 1080P. Although it's capable of full 1080P, I only shot at 720P @ 60FPS to extend battery life and conserve memory space. I wanted to shoot as much footage as possible over the 3 day event. Also, by shooting at 60fps, the video is a lot smoother compared to 30fps.

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam+

RAGutz | Systema PTW M4-A1 LE 4808507 | ragutz_at_gmail.com
Mikey
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:49:40 PM

Is there like a main website for the contour HD? I just want to find out some stuff about it.

Ragutz
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:52:15 PM

Mikey wrote:
Is there like a main website for the contour HD? I just want to find out some stuff about it.

ContourHD

+Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam+

RAGutz | Systema PTW M4-A1 LE 4808507 | ragutz_at_gmail.com